10 Question to Ask Before Starting a Public Consultation
Recently Joseph Peters (Partner at Ascentum) and Joe Goldman (Vice President of Citizen Engagement at AmericaSpeaks) published an excellent two page article called: Open Policy Making 101: 10 Questions To Ask Before Launching Your Online Public Consultation
While their well thought out list is focused on online consultation, the questions also apply to creating plans for effective offline public consultations.
Here are their 10 questions:
- What do you want to know?
- What is your commitment to participants?
- Who needs to participate?
- How hot is the issue?
- What type of contribution are you looking for?
- What type of data will you collect and analyze?
- What are your timelines?
- What resources are available to support the process?
- How can participants stay involved?
- Which online tools should you use?
Read the full article for concise explanations of each question.